5 Reasons You Should See The Government Inspector:
1. Michael Urie, Michael Urie, Michael Urie. We don't deserve him! A+ comedy chops, a dedicated performance, and he's really nice to look at. You'll be doubled over in laughter when his character gets drunk for an entire 20-minute scene. Dreamboat times a million!
2. Modern parlance. Jeffrey Hatcher's adaptation of this 1800s Russian farce is extremely accessible. The Government Inspector is easy to follow, very much NOT stuffy and literary, and extraordinarily hilarious when the actors use modern mannerisms to deliver their lines.
3. The entire audience was enthralled. It is rare to see ~150 people all completely on board with what's happening on the stage. Watching this play is like watching your "happy drunk" friend get wasted: the opposite of boring!
4. Mary Testa. She's a Broadway legend for a reason. Mary hams it up, delights, and gives a literal wink to those of us in the audience who would also love to try seducing Michael Urie...a.k.a. everyone.
5. It is super bright and energetic. You can feel the energy in the room! It feels like a summer rooftop pool party that you're really glad you got invited to. Bring rosé...er, vodka!
Runs through August 20.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!