Prince of Broadway
Imagine if a jukebox got stuck playing only showtunes! Prince of Broadway is a revue of the work of Harold Prince, a man who has 21 (!) Tony Awards, and stars nine Broadway A-listers performing all your favorite hits from his illustrious career. West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, Cabaret, Fiddler on the Roof, Evita, Sweeney Todd…the list goes on and on.
Photos: Matthew Murphy
5 Reasons You Should See It:
1. It is really woke. Both Tevye and Sally Bowles are played by performers of color. Chuck Cooper brings a whole new joyous dimension to “If I Were A Rich Man” and Bryonha Marie Parham’s Act One closer is a Cabaret of your dreams. And an interracial romance in She Loves Me? Yes, please...it's 2017!
2. These nine performers are the best in the biz…literally! These are performers that you can entrust with any legendary show tune and know that you will see an A+ rendition of it. Under the extremely experienced direction of Prince himself and Susan Stroman, each number is a soothing work of utter mastery.
3. Tony Yazbeck’s ridiculous 8-minute tap dance explosion from Follies will haunt your dreams for weeks He leaves you breathless as he redefines how to act wearing tap shoes. The man was literally BORN. TO. DANCE.
4. This is living, breathing Broadway history. The replications of the original sets all pay homage to the original designers with little shoutouts here and there. Pay attention to the shelf in the pie shop during the Sweeney Todd number and the address of the perfume shop in She Loves Me!
5. You'll be introduced to musicals you haven’t discovered yet. Never heard a song from Parade? Well, let Tony Yazbeck introduce you to it on a Broadway stage with Jason Robert Brown himself orchestrating. Never seen a performance of "Ladies Who Lunch"? Let Emily Skinner show you how it’s done!
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!