by Tom Coppola
Pacific Overtures is a none too regularly produced musical, so it doesn't have much of a knowledgable fan base. Here are 5 reasons why you should get to the current Off-Broadway revival.
1. George Takei is in it. This living legend, best known of course for his work on Star Trek and now a major presence on social media, has been appearing more and more on Broadway and NY stages in the past number of years. So don't be fooled--Takei’s appearance is not stunt casting. It’s inspired casting!
2. Stephen Sondheim wrote it. In case you've been living under a rock for the past 50 years, Sondheim is one musical theater's most prolific composer who has most heavily inspired some of Broadway's hottest composers (Lin Manuel, anyone?). Sondheim is known for musicalizing tricky topics such as presidential assassinations (Assassins) to cannibalism (Sweeney Todd). Pacific Overtures is an excellent example of Sondheim's brilliance and virtuosity. And the subject matter? The westernization of Japan in 1853.
3. It's playing at Classic Stage Company. This company is best known for presenting knock-it-of-the-park adaptations of plays by 20th century playwrights (think Ibsen, Chekov, Beckett, Pinter, etc.), so going to see a show here means you're definitely going to see a quality production. The amazing coffee shop in the lobby is a plus!
4. The production is modern in its presentation. This version is reimagined under the direction of John Doyle (Tony nominated for the revivals of Company, Sweeney Todd and The Color Purple). The original production was staged in Kabuki style, and ran over 2 hours long. CSC's production runs a lean 90 minutes and presented in contemporary style dress, but doesn’t take away from the story or the sublime score.
5. It has an amazing orchestra! A 9 piece band is a luxury when seeing a show Off-Broadway, and THAT is worth the price of admission alone.
Runs through Sunday, June 18th.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!