5 Reasons You Should See Bella: An American Tall Tale
1. #Representation. Kirsten Childs, who wrote this new musical, set out to "create a new myth celebrating the power and beauty of the black female body, with all the joy, fun, silliness and sorrow, heartbreak and triumph of the black woman's experience in America." The result is a hilarious and quirky new musical with catchy, radio-ready show tunes.
2. A star is born with Ashley D. Kelley, who plays Bella herself. She carries the entire 2.5 hour musical, practically never leaving the stage once with a performance that not many people could pull off.
3. The voices in this cast are ridiculous. NaTasha Yvette Williams, in particular, will melt your face right off with her gospel soulfulness.
4. The set and lighting design for this Off-Broadway show are Broadway-quality. Clint Ramos (Sunday In The Park With George) and Japhy Weideman (Dear Evan Hansen) knock it out of the park with this whimsical transportation to the American Wild West.
5. Brandon Gill. This Juilliard graduate shines as the porter on the train that Bella takes to her new life. A sultry baritone voice and superior comic chops definitely make him a dude to watch out for!
Runs through July 2.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!