5 Reasons You Should See Bella: An American Tall Tale
1. #Representation. Kirsten Childs, who wrote this new musical, set out to "create a new myth celebrating the power and beauty of the black female body, with all the joy, fun, silliness and sorrow, heartbreak and triumph of the black woman's experience in America." The result is a hilarious and quirky new musical with catchy, radio-ready show tunes.
2. A star is born with Ashley D. Kelley, who plays Bella herself. She carries the entire 2.5 hour musical, practically never leaving the stage once with a performance that not many people could pull off.
3. The voices in this cast are ridiculous. NaTasha Yvette Williams, in particular, will melt your face right off with her gospel soulfulness.
4. The set and lighting design for this Off-Broadway show are Broadway-quality. Clint Ramos (Sunday In The Park With George) and Japhy Weideman (Dear Evan Hansen) knock it out of the park with this whimsical transportation to the American Wild West.
5. Brandon Gill. This Juilliard graduate shines as the porter on the train that Bella takes to her new life. A sultry baritone voice and superior comic chops definitely make him a dude to watch out for!
Runs through July 2.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!