5 Reasons You Should See 1984 on Broadway:
1. Two words: Tom. Sturridge. This British actor already has a Tony nomination under his belt for 2013's Orphans, and It looks like he might have another one coming up next June for 1984. His performance is the intense-st of the intense and he delivers in a big way...and somehow manages to still be sexy even while being tortured for 20 minutes onstage.
2. The subject matter is so relevant that it’s almost *too* relevant. If you want the you-know-what scared out of you, this show will do the trick just fine. This show reminds us that we already kinda live in the dystopian future imagined by George Orwell 70 years ago.
3. The scenic design and staging is unbelievably awesome, and works really well with the cinematic direction of this play. The entire last third of the play takes place in a room that is designed as if it is taken straight from your nightmares.
4. Reed Birney. He won the Tony in 2016 for The Humans and gives a subtly chilling performance in 1984 that will haunt you for a very long time.
5. 101 minutes, no intermish. You’ll be home in time to pop a Xanax and unwind. Oh, fun bonus: it’s the second show ever to be presented in the newly refurbished (and very fancy) Hudson Theater.
Runs through October 8.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!