And She Would Stand Like This
RuPaul's Drag Race vibes in this modern version of an epic Greek tragedy. Brave, fierce, and "a theatrical slap"...a wake-up call on so many levels!
5 Reasons You Should See It:
1. Woke Level: A Billion. The Movement Theatre Company lives up to its Instagram bio in this production "bringing voices of Black and Latinx Trans women and queer men to the stage." Access to culture and dope art like this is why you live in NYC. Now, get out and experience it!
2. Incredible production values. The set, lights, costumes, and sound design are all Broadway-quality, and director David Mendizábal keeps this energetic show moving like a freight train speeding towards Fabulous Station.
Photos: Ahron R. Foster
3. Cherrye J. Davis. She delivers an relentlessly gripping and robust performance as a mother with a sick child. This Queen goes IN.
4. The crowd is young, hip, and sexy. THIS is the kind of energetic diversity that should define all NYC theater audiences. You don't need to wear boring dress clothes to fit in here!
5. It is a REALLY nice theater space, both physically and emotionally. The show is performed at a brand spankin' new theater on 53rd Street and 10th Avenue that makes you glad to forget cranky Broadway ushers who seem like they hate their job. This is: sleek gender-neutral bathrooms and warm and kind smiles from everyone from the moment you walk in the door (literally!).
Runs through August 6. Tickets are only $20!
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!