Charm is the latest knockout from the consistently awesome MCC Theater. The clouds part over this new Off-Broadway triumph to reveal theater that is fresh, exciting, and just plain good.
5 Reasons You Should See It:
1. Two words: Sandra. Caldwell. Sandra plays Mama Darleena, based on the real story of trans woman who galvanizes a group of at-risk youths at a Chicago LGBTQ center. She delivers a career-defining performance that is so raw and real that it will blow your mind. This woman can ACT!
2. Will Davis' energetic direction. Will is an extremely gifted director who was nominated for a Lucille Lortel Award (kinda like the Off-Broadway Tony Awards®) last season for Men On Boats. He keeps the octane flowing in every single scene in Charm.
3. Just like Transparent, Charm informs the audience about a complicated world without being Wikipedia-ish. Cis audience members will sympathize with characters dealing with issues specific to the trans community because they will sympathize with the universal human issues those characters are dealing with. This is all thanks to Philip Dawkins' brilliant (and extremely accessible) playwriting. Bonus: it's hilarious!
Photos: Joan Marcus
4. The entire cast is superb. There are no weak links in this group, which was cast via community outreach and even social media. Special shoutout to Marky Irene Diven. Her heartbreaking performance proves she is an actress to be reckoned with. She's gonna catch the attention of awards nominating committees!
5. MCC Theater is welcoming 75 at-risk youths to see their shows this season, including Charm. This partnership with the Gracie Mansion Conservancy includes workshops with cast members and creative teams in addition to tickets in an effort to increase access to arts and culture to these New Yorkers. Yas, yas, and more YAS to this!
Runs through October 15.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!