As You Like It
Shaina Taub and Laurie Woolery’s new musical adaptation of As You Like It is playing as part of The Public Theater’s Public Works initiative, which takes community members from around NYC and makes them a part of the creation process. It is extremely dope.
5 Reasons You Should See It:
1. This show champions diversity on a staggering scale with its utopian vision of a humanity that embraces all races and sexual orientations.
2. The music is radio-ready and so so so good. You will walk out of the theater humming the tunes, praying they make a cast recording.
3. Rebecca Naomi Jones. Rebecca steals the whole damn show…which is no small feat when there are literally hundreds of people in it. Her performance as Rosalind makes iambic pentameter as hilarious as an episode of 30 Rock.
Photos: Joan Marcus
4. There is a number near the end of the show that is so joyous that the entire audience leaps to their feet before it's even over. This rousing standing ovation is elicited by the Arabic folk dance crew Freedom Dabka Group, who are backed by the chorus of hundreds of ensemble members from the NYC community singing an energetic new pop music showtune. This number alone makes the case against you-know-who's immigration ban.
5. It’s free! And outside! Try your luck at the lottery on the TodayTix app or get in line early at Astor Place or Central Park to get free tickets to this show, which is being performed at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park. The backdrop of the real Central Park trees conspire for pure magic during the scenes that take place in a forest.
Sprint as fast as you can to experience this incredibly special new musical.
Runs until September 5.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!