Yep, SpongeBob SquarePants is coming to Broadway as a musical and, to be honest, it sounds dope AF!
5 Reasons You Should Get Tickets Now
1. The music. Unlike a traditional musical with one composer, SpongeBob has original songs that were written for the show by a list of some ridiculously cool music A-listers: Sara Bareilles, Steven Tyler and Aerosmith, The Flaming Lips, David Bowie, T.I, John Legend, and more! Whaaaaaaatttttttt? Omg. NPR has a sneak peek of the music here.
2. The cast. Cutie Ethan Slater will be playing SpongeBob himself and YOU ARE NOT READY for how good his voice is. There are too many YesBroadway favorites in the cast to name, but here's some of them: Wesley Taylor from Smash, Brynn Williams from Freedom Riders, Stephanie Hsu from Be More Chill, Vasthy Mompoint, and 40 Under 40 star Jon Rua (Hamilton's "I'm a General, wheeeeeeeeee...").
Photos: Joan Marcus
3. The director. Tina Landau spoke about her genius vision for SpongeBob at this year's TEDxBroadway which you can watch here and it was clear that she is not effing around.
4. They already worked out the kinks at an out of town tryout last year in Chicago. This used to be a way to "get it right", but is now becoming a thing of the past. Trust new musicals that have had a chance to figure out what they're all about before they arrive on Broadway.
5. It's going to be for adults as much as it's for kids. This is a show that you're going to take your nephew to and dig it even more than he does!
Starts November 6.