Red Roses, Green Gold is a new Off-Broadway musical starting in October at the Minetta Lane Theater. Deadeads: Converge!
Here's what we know so far:
1. The music and lyrics are by the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter, with additional music by band members Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, Bob Weir, and Bill Kreutzmann.
2. The story is about a swindling family of gamblers in 1920s Maryland. It's billed as a "fantastical" comedy. Michael Norman Mann wrote the book. This is his third musical to incorporate Grateful Dead music in it.
3. The cast of eight will be playing the instruments onstage and will be led by keyboardist Jeff Chimenti, who has played several Dead tours such as Fare Thee Well, Furthur, and Dead & Company. He also did the arrangements for this musical.
4. It's directed by Rachel Klein and produced by the same people who brought Million Dollar Quartet to Broadway.
5. Tickets are $58-$125 and they will go fast!
Check out a song from the show and meet some of the cast members in the video below:
Starts October 11.
Fancy immersive theater at a mansion on 5th Avenue!
An fresh new musical by exciting young musical theater composers!
Krysta Rodriguez and Skylar Astin will star in this Off-Broadway black comedy.
Is this a Grateful Dead musical? Not quite...but, it's close!
Pulitzer finalist for playwriting. This will be an A+!
Our Spidey-sense is tingling for this new musical that sounds dope AF!
Nathan Lane and Andrew Garfield in A+ career-defining performances!
Tina Fey isn't letting just anyone write this musical. In fact, she's doing it herself!
If you think you'll be able to casually get tickets to this "at some point" down the line, please come back to Planet Earth...
Amy Schumer + many more stars in Steve Martin's new play!
Insane momentum from Off-Broadway. This is going to be a sure-fire hit!
Soooo many reasons why we think this is gonna be good!
Julie Taymor directs Clive Owen. Yes, please!