5 Reasons Why You Should Get Tickets Now to M. Butterfly
by Tom Coppola
1. It won the Tony Award® for Best Play in 1988. With a Tony already in its cap, you know you’re in for an amazing night of storytelling before you’ve even entered the Cort Theater.
2. It is directed by Julie Taymor. Surely you’ve heard of a little (big, monstrous) hit musical still playing on Broadway called The Lion King. Well, Taymor was the creative genius behind the directing and designing that show, which made her the first female to win the Tony Award® for Best Direction of a Musical. Chances are she’ll receive another Tony nomination for Best Direction of a Play—20 years later—for this revival!
3. It stars Clive Owen. The Great White way loved Clive Owen SO MUCH during his Broadway debut in 2015 that it didn’t take long to welcome him back. This Oscar nominated actor is sure to bring the main character of Gallimard to new heights. Lucky for us, he’s also not too bad to look at...
4. This is the first Broadway revival. The play hasn’t been seen on Broadway since 1998! It’s a brand new production for a new generation—that’s what revivals are for, natch. And with Julie Taymor at the helm, it’s destined to be a feast for the eyes.
5. It’s based on a true story. Okay, okay…loosely based on a true story. M. Butterfly is about a romantic relationship between a French diplomat and a Chinese opera singer acting as a spy for the Chinese government. It’s a love story AND an espionage drama. Sign us up!
Begins October 7.
Banner Photo: Gerhard Kassner