Too Heavy For Your Pocket is a new play by Jiréh Breon Holder that explores the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement in the 1960's.
5 Reasons You Should See It:
1. The acting is off the charts. Every character is super-nuanced and goes on a big journey. That’s thanks, in part, to the strong acting chops of these four future megastars. It's also powerful to have a cast that is 100% people of color.
2. Brandon Gill. Pay special attention to this Juilliard graduate, who shined in Bella: An American Tall Tale a few months ago and goes IN with an electric performance during the second act of this play. His jail scenes will scare the eff outta you. The dude is an A+ actor, an A+ singer, and an A+ dancer. Triple threat much? Hashtag swoon...
Photos: Jeremy Daniel
3. Music is integrated beautifully into this production. Director Margot Bordelon makes scene transitions feel cinematic and lovely. You'll want to keep listening to some of these oldies for days after you leave the theater.
4. You'll learn about the Freedom Riders movement, but from a different perspective. Unlike the recent Freedom Riders musical, this shows the personal devastation that some of these families experienced.
5. It's at Roundabout's black box theater on 46th Street, which is intimate and serene. Bonus: the tickets are only $25!
Runs through November 19.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!