Prince of Broadway
Imagine if a jukebox got stuck playing only showtunes! Prince of Broadway is a revue of the work of Harold Prince, a man who has 21 (!) Tony Awards, and stars nine Broadway A-listers performing all your favorite hits from his illustrious career. West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, Cabaret, Fiddler on the Roof, Evita, Sweeney Todd…the list goes on and on.
Photos: Matthew Murphy
5 Reasons You Should See It:
1. It is really woke. Both Tevye and Sally Bowles are played by performers of color. Chuck Cooper brings a whole new joyous dimension to “If I Were A Rich Man” and Bryonha Marie Parham’s Act One closer is a Cabaret of your dreams. And an interracial romance in She Loves Me? Yes, please...it's 2017!
2. These nine performers are the best in the biz…literally! These are performers that you can entrust with any legendary show tune and know that you will see an A+ rendition of it. Under the extremely experienced direction of Prince himself and Susan Stroman, each number is a soothing work of utter mastery.
3. Tony Yazbeck’s ridiculous 8-minute tap dance explosion from Follies will haunt your dreams for weeks He leaves you breathless as he redefines how to act wearing tap shoes. The man was literally BORN. TO. DANCE.
4. This is living, breathing Broadway history. The replications of the original sets all pay homage to the original designers with little shoutouts here and there. Pay attention to the shelf in the pie shop during the Sweeney Todd number and the address of the perfume shop in She Loves Me!
5. You'll be introduced to musicals you haven’t discovered yet. Never heard a song from Parade? Well, let Tony Yazbeck introduce you to it on a Broadway stage with Jason Robert Brown himself orchestrating. Never seen a performance of "Ladies Who Lunch"? Let Emily Skinner show you how it’s done!
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!