Boundless Theatre Company, which divides its time between Puerto Rico and NYC, is putting up a production of the devastating play Mud.
5 REASONS YOU SHOULD SEE IT:
1. The acting is exceptional. All three actors shine in this play, which requires extremely advanced acting skills. Special shoutout to Julian Elijah Martinez, who beautifully plays an ill and illiterate poverty-stricken young man.
2. The direction is amazing. Elena Araoz's staging is stylized without overdoing it. It's complex and layered, while still being extremely accessible.
3. The theater space transports you. Because of a really incredible set, lights, and costumes, you feel like you're in a creaky rural cabin even though you're in a tiny black box theater in a basement on East 4th Street.
Photos: Al Foote III
4. It hasn't been done in NYC since 1998. Cuban-American playwright María Irene Fornés' seminal piece of theater has a very poetic and dramatic feel that reminds you why you like theater more than films.
5. Its super affordable. Tickets are only $23. Bonus: You're helping to amplify the voices of people of color in NYC theater.
Runs through October 29.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!