Boundless Theatre Company, which divides its time between Puerto Rico and NYC, is putting up a production of the devastating play Mud.
5 REASONS YOU SHOULD SEE IT:
1. The acting is exceptional. All three actors shine in this play, which requires extremely advanced acting skills. Special shoutout to Julian Elijah Martinez, who beautifully plays an ill and illiterate poverty-stricken young man.
2. The direction is amazing. Elena Araoz's staging is stylized without overdoing it. It's complex and layered, while still being extremely accessible.
3. The theater space transports you. Because of a really incredible set, lights, and costumes, you feel like you're in a creaky rural cabin even though you're in a tiny black box theater in a basement on East 4th Street.
Photos: Al Foote III
4. It hasn't been done in NYC since 1998. Cuban-American playwright María Irene Fornés' seminal piece of theater has a very poetic and dramatic feel that reminds you why you like theater more than films.
5. Its super affordable. Tickets are only $23. Bonus: You're helping to amplify the voices of people of color in NYC theater.
Runs through October 29.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!