Banner Image: Nicolai Khalezin, Belarus Free Theatre
Burning Doors is a banned piece of theater by the Belarus Free Theatre. It is super heady and intense...and very, very, very awesome.
5 Reasons You Should SEE IT:
1. It stars Maria Alyokhina from Pussy Riot, who just served two years in Russian jail for being a part of a protest performance staged in a church. She is a performer with a definite "it" factor and it's especially powerful to have her on the stage as a solid chunk of the evening involves telling her story.
2. Support artists that refuse to be silenced! This is the only piece of European theater that is banned by its government on political grounds. In one recent production of this piece, the entire cast AND AUDIENCE were arrested in Belarus. Yet, out of oppression comes incredibly passionate art and you'll be so glad you got to see it. These performers are not fucking around!
3. It is one of the most sensory experiences you'll ever have in a theater. Smell and touch heighten the visual and aural work of this piece, making it exceptionally visceral. This is not for the faint of heart!
4. The production values are insane. Lighting, costumes, sets, and props are all A+, all helping to highlight the extreme physicality of the performances...without taking away from them.
5. Tickets are only $30. Pro tip: it's general admission and we recommend getting there early to snag a seat in the first three rows, where your senses are especially assaulted.
Runs through October 22.
Fancy immersive theater at a mansion on 5th Avenue!
An fresh new musical by exciting young musical theater composers!
Krysta Rodriguez and Skylar Astin will star in this Off-Broadway black comedy.
Is this a Grateful Dead musical? Not quite...but, it's close!
Pulitzer finalist for playwriting. This will be an A+!
Our Spidey-sense is tingling for this new musical that sounds dope AF!
Nathan Lane and Andrew Garfield in A+ career-defining performances!
Tina Fey isn't letting just anyone write this musical. In fact, she's doing it herself!
If you think you'll be able to casually get tickets to this "at some point" down the line, please come back to Planet Earth...
Amy Schumer + many more stars in Steve Martin's new play!
Insane momentum from Off-Broadway. This is going to be a sure-fire hit!
Soooo many reasons why we think this is gonna be good!
Julie Taymor directs Clive Owen. Yes, please!