5 Reasons Scotland, PA Will Be So Good, It’s Deadly
by Melanie Raush
1. Jay Armstrong Johnson and Alysha Umphress reunite! Jay and Alysha both starred in On the Town on Broadway back in 2014, so it’ll be so awesome to see them onstage together again in this brand new musical about revenge. Jay recently finished his run as Raoul in Phantom, and Alysha was a special guest at Be More Chill’s Post-Show Hang where she sang “Do You Wanna Ride” – check out her performance here:
2. Adam Gwon returns to Roundabout Theatre Company. His musical Ordinary Days (his off-Broadway debut) was the first musical produced in Roundabout’s black box theater in 2009, and it has since been produced around the world!! His music has been performed by Broadway A-listers Audra McDonald, Kelli O’Hara, and Brian d’Arcy James, so you KNOW his new score for Scotland, PA is going to be good.
From L to R: Adam Gwon, Lonny Price, Lacretta, Ryan McCartan, Alysha Umpress, and Jay Armstrong Johnson.
3. Lonny Price directs. Lonny Price has had an extensive career as both an actor and a director for the stage and screen, earning a Tony nomination and multiple Emmy Awards. He’s performed in Merrily We Roll Alongand Dirty Dancing and directed stars including Audra McDonald and Patti LuPone on Broadway, the West End, and beyond! With a list of credits as impressive as his, this production is one to watch.
4. Ryan McCartan is a cult-classic musical expert! After originating the role of JD in Heathers Off-Broadway and playing Brad Majors in FOX’s remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Ryan is the perfect choice to play the lead in this musical adaptation of the cult dark comedy film. He recently made his Broadway debut as Fiyero in the 15th anniversary cast of Wicked and he is a 2011 Jimmy Award winner. Needless to say, he is going to KILL IT in Scotland, PA, pun very much intended.
5. We smell a Broadway transfer. A musical adaptation of a movie inspired by Shakespeare’s Macbeth with a cast and creative team this epic = a recipe for a Broadway transfer, so see it now before it super-sizes its way to Broadway!
Scotland, PA begins Off-Broadway on September 14th.
We asked the cast and creative team of Be More Chill: Who’s your SQUIP?
2018 was epic year for theater. Here’s some of the highlights!
For starters, Jeff Goldblum was in it…
The first part of our new series #WomenOnBroadway: 5 producers you should be paying attention to!