by Brookelynn Mason
How wonderful life is…now that Moulin Rouge is coming to the stage! Yes, you're reading correctly. Moulin Rouge will have its world premiere at Boston's Emerson Colonial Theater this summer. There’s a lot of reasons why you should be hella hyped about this, but we’re going to hit you with five:
1. Um, Karen Olivo (pictured in banner image above). In the Heights. Hamilton. tick…tick…BOOM! Point blank, she’s a powerhouse goddess. She commands a stage anytime she opens her mouth, so why wouldn’t you want to immediately jump for tickets just to be assaulted by her performance as Satine singing “Sparkling Diamonds”? Yes, Queen.
2. Aaron Tveit. This Broadway hottie is featured in the "Come What May" music video (see below), and WE. ARE. SHOOK. It's a perfect sneak peak at what our Christian is going to be like. With credits like Next To Normal and Grease! Live under his belt, we're expecting to be blown away.
3. This creative team is just nuts, y'all. Most of them have won a Tony or two. Sprinkle in some Drama Desk, Lucille Lortel, and Obie Awards, and you've got a group of people that clearly know their sh*t. Nothing less of absolute excellence from the likes of director Alex Timbers, costumer designer Catherine Zuber, and choreographer Sonya Tayeh among, ya know, a slew of other ridiculously talented peeps.
4. IT'S MOULIN ROUGE. I mean, does this even need an explanation? It's probably the most popular movie musical for anyone born in the 80s or 90s.
5. We smell a Broadway run in the future, so be an early adopter and check out the the world premiere in Boston. Like we always say: don't get yourself into another Hamilton-esque situation. See this show before it lands on Broadway and becomes THE show to see!
Runs July 10 through August 19 at Boston's newly refurbished and restored Emerson Colonial Theatre (see picture below).
Givin’ some love to these Broadway stars.