by Olivia Lusk
The new musical Miss You Like Hell made waves last year at La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego and it's now coming to the Public Theater this spring.
5 REASONS YOU SHOULD BE HYPED ABOUT IT:
1. Daphne Rubin-Vega. In a musical! Our beloved original Mimi from Rent (no big deal) is an all-around badass. She's done a lot of plays in the past few years, but this is a grand return to getting to hear her delicious vocal stylings again on a New York stage.
2. The music. Check out the videos below to hear some of singer-songwriter Erin McKeown's brilliant score. Warning: You’re going to fall VERY in love with it very quickly.
3. Quiara Alegría Hudes. She wrote the book and co-wrote the lyrics for Miss You Like Hell. Quiara nominated for a Tony Award® for writing the book to Lin-Manuel Miranda's In The Heights and has also made quite a name for herself as a playwright. Bonus: she's really fun to follow on Twitter.
4. Gizel Jimenez. This stunningly talented newcomer is playing the lead role opposite DRV. Future megastar alert!
5. The Public Theater. Many Broadway favorites have come out the Public (Hamilton, ahem), so they definitely know what they're doing. Miss You Like Hell could just be their next Broadway-bound rocket ship.
Miss You Like Hell starts March 20.
Sam saw ~250 shows this year. Here's his Top 10 faves!