by Brookelynn Mason and Melanie Raush
Jagged Little Pill is the Alanis Morissette Broadway musical we've all been waiting for. It played last year at Boston's American Repertory Theater, where it has opened to rave reviews. Don't believe us? Believe these Tweeps as to why you should get hyped for the Broadway run, which starts November 3:
(Oh, and real quick? Choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui choreographed the Beyoncé/Jay-Z "Apeshit" music video that just came out of them at the Louvre, nbd...)
#1. Louis Peitzman reviewed the show for Buzzfeed (read it here) in his official capacity, but we'd like to know more about this:
Check out these photos from the Boston run by Evgenia Eliseeva:
#3. We love nothing more than a good "Intermission Report"...especially when it's a rave!
#4. If you don't also love Kathryn Gallagher, then...well, you're incorrect!
#5. This dude traveled across the country to see it! Makes taking a 5-hour bus up to Boston seem a lot more palpable...
Five Reasons Why “You Oughta Know” About Jagged Little Pill
1. It’s a jukebox musical of Alanis Morissette’s music! The musical includes songs from the 1995 album that gave the musical its title as well as other songs from Alanis Morissette’s catalog and two brand new songs written for the musical. The story, written by Acadamy Award-winner Diablo Cody, is about a seemingly picture-perfect family…with cracks beneath the surface. The plot is inspired by the topics and emotions that the original album focuses on and features diverse characters. You’ll hear old favorites such as “Hand in My Pocket,” “Ironic,” and “You Learn” and find some new favorites along the way!
2. A cast full of Broadway newbies and returning favorites alike! Elizabeth Stanley (On the Town) and Sean Allan Krill (Mamma Mia!) star along with Kathryn Gallagher (Spring Awakening), Celia Rose Gooding (Broadway debut!), Derek Klena (Anastasia), and Lauren Patten (Fun Home). We’re definitely going to fall head over feet for this cast from the very first song!
3. It just recently finished a critically acclaimed run out of town. Jagged Little Pill had its world premiere at the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, Massachusetts with the same cast, and critics loved it! With positive reviews from The New York Times and Variety, this show is absolutely one to get tickets to before it hits big on Broadway.
4. Director Diane Paulus knows her stuff! The last Broadway musical she worked on, Waitress, is still running; she also directed Hair (twice!), Pippin, and Finding Neverland. She won a Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical, one of only four women in Tony history to do so…so, a musical with her on the creative team can’t be anything but INCREDIBLE.
5. Lauren Patten’s “You Oughta Know” is a true SHOWSTOPPER! Lauren has been playing the role of Jo since the first readings and workshops of Jagged Little Pill in 2017, and her fantastic performance can only get better for Broadway. This is “You Oughta Know” like you’ve never seen or heard it before, and it’s a performance you don’t want to miss!
Jagged Little Pill begins performances on November 3.