Photo: Martina Tolot
by Annie Schiffmann
As If we couldn’t love the 90s movie Clueless anymore, it's coming Off-Broadway with some seminal 90s pop/rock/R&B songs and a stellar cast of fresh faces. The New Group is producing and they are known for putting up gutsy, ensemble-based shows and musicals that feel “right now”.
5 Reasons You Will Win When You Take Your Niece to See Clueless, The Musical and Still Actually Enjoy Yourself
1. You may not have heard of the lead Dove Cameron, but if you have a preteen niece she most DEFINITELY has. Get her tickets to see her idol from Disney’s Liv and Maddie (which won Dove Cameron an Emmy) and cement your status as “the cool one in the family”.
2. Rest assured, this adaption is in good hands. Clueless was known for being smart and funny and the film’s director/screenwriter Amy Heckerling wrote the musical, so….
3. It has the same choreographer and scenic designer as Come From Away - a musical that moves fast and uses lots of visual elements to tell the story. Look for those same qualities in this production.
4. Can we talk about this cast? This show has had Broadway up-and-comers in its past incarnations, and the current roster is no exception. Be More Chill’s Will Connolly. Dave Thomas Brown, who just finished his run in Book of Mormon. Plus, seeing someone else play Tai will give you some closure and help you through your Brittany Murphy grieving.
5. Clueless the Musical will reimagine songs from the iconic movie soundtrack and write parodies for other 90s tunes. Think about how you and your niece will be bopping along to the pop/punk sounds of Jill Sobule, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Coolio when you sneak away from the rest of the family at Christmas Eve dinner.
Starts November 20.
The first part of our new series #WomenOnBroadway: 5 producers you should be paying attention to!
Givin’ some love to these Broadway stars.