The Cher Show has landed on Broadway and it’s exactly what it sounds like: a whole lotta Cher. Three awesome actresses play Cher, who is a producer of this show herself, at different parts of her life in this slightly meta Broadway bio-musical.
5 reasons you gotta see it:
1. Stephanie J. Block. She’s so good as the Star version of Cher that it’s hard to put into words, but here’s an attempt: HOWWWWWWWWWWWW does she do it?!? We simply do not deserve to breathe the same air as this Broadway goddess. She straight-up ***embodies*** Cher, but without impersonating her. There are tons of moments in the show where you can’t believe that Cher herself isn’t actually up on that stage. SJB is funny AF, sings, dances, and acts her face off in this role. “Talented” is an understatement. She’s masterful and mind-blowing.
2. That Bob Mackie moment. Bob Mackie himself designed the costumes for the show, so you can imagine that the big scene where Cher meets Mackie, her long-time designer, is a full-on costume extravaganza! Trust that your heart will be beating really fast for about 10 minutes during this wild runway scene. It’s glamour, glitz, boldness, and extreme fierceness….the best costume party you’ve ever been to. P/S Thanks to Bob Mackie at the helm, there are literally hundreds of costume changes in the two and a half hour show. Dig fashion? You’re going to LOVE The Cher Show.
Photos: Joan Marcus
3. Jarrod Spector. His Sonny Bono is pitch-perfect. The voice, the body, the hair…and, yes, the vest. The first time he walks on stage, the audience collectively gasps at how much he resembles Sonny, especially as he nails that distinct swagger.
4. Micaela Diamond. Even as the youngest of the three Chers, she has a lot of stage time throughout the entire show. During “The Beat Goes On” in Act 2, you’ll be ready to start screaming her name as your new favorite diva. You won’t believe that this is her Broadway debut. She’s already a bona-fide star one show in!
5. The hits. The Cher Show has ‘em all: “Gypsies, Tramps, & Thieves”, “If I Could Turn Back Time”, “I Got You Babe”, “The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s In His Kiss)” and the finale that you definitely want: “Believe”.
You can try to resist this Cher celebration…but you probably should just give in, grab your sequins, and head to the Neil Simon Theatre to see The Cher Show.
We asked the cast and creative team of Be More Chill: Who’s your SQUIP?
2018 was epic year for theater. Here’s some of the highlights!
For starters, Jeff Goldblum was in it…
The first part of our new series #WomenOnBroadway: 5 producers you should be paying attention to!