by Alyssa Cusick
Classical musical theater fans: rejoice! Carousel is back on Broadway in a glorious new revival. Journey back in time to turn-of-the-century Maine. It's a refreshing pause from these busy modern times!
5 Reasons You Should See CAROUSEL
1. That. Choreography. Omg, if you haven't heard the buzz already, Tony winner Justin Peck's choreography will put that speechless WOW face on you from start to finish. If you can't find your jaw, it's because you dropped it on the floor!
2. Lindsay Mendez. Not only will you fall in love with this Tony winner's heartwarming portrayal of Carrie Pipperidge, you will also be blown away by her vocals...which appear to effortlessly come out of her mouth like a delightful June rain shower.
3. The ensemble. Every member of this ensemble deserves a big shout out because: DANCING. (Did I already mention the dancing in this show? It's that good, I just can't stop. #SorryNotSorry) I mean, it tied for the 2018 Chita Rivera Award for Outstanding Ensemble in a Broadway Show!
Photos: Julieta Cervantes
4. You'll Never Walk Alone. Opera megastar Renée Fleming sings it in this revival, and her version of it just throws hope into your world. You feel like she's singing it just for you! This song is a staple of the music industry and has been covered by countless artists such as Josh Groban, and is even the theme song for fans of the Liverpool Football Club. You'll never forget seeing this song performed live.
5. It's a classic. Carousel initially premiered on Broadway in 1945, has had Broadway revival after revival (one in the 90s won Audra McDonald her first of 6 Tony Awards!), and is many a theater superfan's favorite musical. There's a reason audiences keep coming back for this one! And this current extraordinary revival got 11 Tony nominations, nbd.
I may have left this show plotting my career change to enter the dance world. Go see it for your own dose of inspiration!