Five Reasons You Should See Woody Sez:
1. This Woody Guthrie biopic is refreshingly earnest. Leave the irony and edginess outside. This is soothing, easy, and pleasant musical theater!
2. You won’t feel like you’re in NYC even though you’re on 22nd Street. You’ll feel more like you’re in a cozy church basement in Oklahoma watching a touring troupe of troubadours tell the story of America’s favorite folk singer. It feels right that this production seems so out of place in NYC. Again, refreshing!
3. It is surprisingly relevant. Americans have been “fighting the good fight” for more than a century and it takes a (true) story like this to remind us that Wall Street tycoons have been in charge of this country for a really long time. Politics are politics, whether its 2017 or 1935.
4. The cast is comprised of 4 exceptionally gifted musicians who all masterfully play a wide array of instruments and have beautiful voices. Fun bonus: the cast hosts an actual hootenanny after the show on Sundays at a bar a couple blocks away.
5. The show is smoothly directed, superbly lit, and sounds beautiful. To boot, the newly refurbished Irish Repertory Theatre is very comfortable and immaculate.
Runs through September 10.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!