5 Reasons to Get Tickets Now to Torch Song
by Tom Coppola
1. Michael Urie, Michael Urie, Michael Urie! This award-winning man can do no wrong, as he has proven time and time again over the past few years. Urie has been busy playing drama, musicals and comedy throughout the US, and thankfully keeps coming back to New York. After this, he’s going to be playing Hamlet in DC. Mkay?
2. Harvey Fierstein wrote it. Calling Fierstein a living theatrical landmark would be an understatement! This play put Fierstein on the map as playwright and actor (he won a Tony® Award for both when the play premiered on Broadway in 1982). Of course, he’s gone on to write a bunch of other huge projects since then that you might have heard of: La Cage Aux Folles and Kinky Boots.
3. Mercedes Ruhl also leads the cast. Depending on your age, you may know her as Tom Hank’s mother in the movie Big or the long suffering wife from Married to the Mob. But this Academy Award winner has theater cred up the wazoo! And it’s been a minute since NYC has seen her. Welcome back, Mercedes!
4. Second Stage Theater is producing it. Ahem, Dear Evan Hansen premiered Off-Broadway at Second Stage...just sayin'! Known as one of NYC’s major Off-Broadway players, they know a thing or two about (and have won umpteen awards for) producing premieres and reinterpreting classics like this. The company is just about to cut the ribbon on a new Broadway theater because they do so much great work, they need more space to do it.
5. Moises Kaufman is directing it. You know Kaufman’s work even if you don’t think you do. He has written and directed for both stage and screen (The Laramie Project is one of the most produced plays in America), he’s won the Pulitzer, and he. Is. BRILLIANT!
Starts September 26.
Fancy immersive theater at a mansion on 5th Avenue!
An fresh new musical by exciting young musical theater composers!
Krysta Rodriguez and Skylar Astin will star in this Off-Broadway black comedy.
Is this a Grateful Dead musical? Not quite...but, it's close!
Pulitzer finalist for playwriting. This will be an A+!
Our Spidey-sense is tingling for this new musical that sounds dope AF!
Nathan Lane and Andrew Garfield in A+ career-defining performances!
Tina Fey isn't letting just anyone write this musical. In fact, she's doing it herself!
If you think you'll be able to casually get tickets to this "at some point" down the line, please come back to Planet Earth...
Amy Schumer + many more stars in Steve Martin's new play!
Insane momentum from Off-Broadway. This is going to be a sure-fire hit!
Soooo many reasons why we think this is gonna be good!
Julie Taymor directs Clive Owen. Yes, please!