Photos: Daniel Rader
5 Reasons You Should See Taking Steps
by Megan Healey
Some of the Berkshires’ best theater can be found at Barrington Stage Company in Pittsfield, Massachusetts...just a few hours north of New York City! This hysterical Alan Ayckbourn play follows the lives of six distinct and smartly written characters that keep you guessing what could possibly happen next (or what might go wrong!). Five reasons you should see it:
1. It is timeless. This 1979 British farce, which is described as "Noises Off meets The Office", still holds up brilliantly in 2017.
2. It is visually stunning. The play takes place in 3 floors of a mansion simultaneously, though the set cleverly overlays them all on the same level. It was fascinating to watch the actors maneuver through the house and each other, never leaving a dull moment.
3. This is Broadway-caliber theater nestled in quaint Western Massachusetts. Reasonably priced tickets + super high production values = yes!
4. The cast. All six performers in Sam Buntrock’s rendition are wildly clever with their LOL physicality and endearing personalities. I found myself falling in love with all six of them, for a myriad of distinct reasons. Not one weak link in this company!
5. You never stop laughing. From overdrinking to imaginary stairwells and accidental affairs, you will be left consistently gasping for breath.
Runs until August 5.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!