Photos: Daniel Rader
5 Reasons You Should See Taking Steps
by Megan Healey
Some of the Berkshires’ best theater can be found at Barrington Stage Company in Pittsfield, Massachusetts...just a few hours north of New York City! This hysterical Alan Ayckbourn play follows the lives of six distinct and smartly written characters that keep you guessing what could possibly happen next (or what might go wrong!). Five reasons you should see it:
1. It is timeless. This 1979 British farce, which is described as "Noises Off meets The Office", still holds up brilliantly in 2017.
2. It is visually stunning. The play takes place in 3 floors of a mansion simultaneously, though the set cleverly overlays them all on the same level. It was fascinating to watch the actors maneuver through the house and each other, never leaving a dull moment.
3. This is Broadway-caliber theater nestled in quaint Western Massachusetts. Reasonably priced tickets + super high production values = yes!
4. The cast. All six performers in Sam Buntrock’s rendition are wildly clever with their LOL physicality and endearing personalities. I found myself falling in love with all six of them, for a myriad of distinct reasons. Not one weak link in this company!
5. You never stop laughing. From overdrinking to imaginary stairwells and accidental affairs, you will be left consistently gasping for breath.
Runs until August 5.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!