5 reasons to see Seven Spots on the Sun:
1. The completely Latinx cast. At a time when diversity on stage is a hot topic, it's great to see a company serve up a story that demands actors of a specific ethnicity. The entire cast gives passionate performances that will stick in your mind, and make you want to follow their careers closely.
2. The electrifying direction. This intense story of mourning, redemption and revenge gives director Weynil Mengesha's lots of material to keep the action engaging. It's gritty, sexy, dangerous and Mengesha's cast doesn't hold back.
3. Producing pedigree. The Rattlestick Playwrights Theater is all about cutting edge theater and new voices. Its producing partner on this piece is the Sol Project - a producing company that focuses solely on promoting key playwrights. Oh, and Lin-Manuel Miranda gave lead production support. Sooooo, there's that.
4. It's a New York premiere. The play has been developed and produced on stages throughout the US by notable companies in Chicago and Cincinnati, but this is the New York premiere production. What better reason is there to give yourself bragging rights then to say, "I saw that play when..."?
5. 80 Minutes. No Intermission. No drawn out scenes. No meandering monologues. Just sharp, poignant scenes that pack an emotional punch.
Runs through June 4th.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!