5 Reasons To See Pipeline:
1. Brave playwriting with raw and real dialogue shines in this new Off-Broadway play. Even better yet? Playwright Dominique Morisseau gives us a relevant storyline that is extremely accessible for a modern audience that is accustomed to TV and movies.
2. Excellent acting. Karen Pittman gives a tour-de-force as public high school teacher who has to deal with her son (Namir Smallwood) getting kicked out of the private school he attends. Tasha Lawrence perfectly captures the spirit of a manic inner-city school teacher, stealing the show when the colleagues meet two different times in the teacher's lounge. And an intense 11th hour scene between Namir and Morocco Omari, who plays his father, is as perfectly acted as it gets.
3. #Representation. Now, *this* is theater that is full of new and fresh perspectives. Pipeline a high-budget Off-Broadway production with people of color in all but one role, with a female playwright of color AND a female director of color, the excellent Lileana Blain-Cruz. More of this in NYC theater, please!
4. Finally, a costume designer who knows how people actually dress! Montana Levi Blanco isn't afraid to bust out some dope Nikes that private school students rock daily and puts the teachers in outfits that look exactly like what public high school teachers wear in 2017.
5. "Testifying is allowed." Morrisseau's "Playwright's Rules of Engagement", inserted in the program, warms audience members up to the idea that they can (and should) react audibly to her work. The means the play starts with the audience already feeling like they are part of a community for the next 90 minutes. YES!
Pipeline runs through August 27.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!