5 Reasons Why You Should See Off-Broadway's Napoli, Brooklyn:
1. A "very crazy thing" happens onstage near the end of Act 1. Trust us, you want this to be a surprise. Even the lobby exhibit about this "very crazy thing" is veiled until intermission as to not spoil it before you experience it IRL. The faint-of-heart: Beware!
2. Two words: Alyssa. Bresnahan. In a career-defining performance as an Italian mother who is the glue that holds her family together, Alyssa is so smooth and nuanced that can't fathom that you are watching someone act.
3. Female playwright! It is sad that the playwright's gender has to be championed, but unfortunately we live in a world where it must be. Meghan Kennedy's layered and engaging script is subtly brilliant. Monologues from this play are going to be performed in acting classes for decades.
4. The direction is on point! Gordon Edelstein masterfully captures the intensity of an Italian-American family on the verge of collapse. Passion, grief, and anger all constantly bubble up to the surface.
5. This has Broadway transfer written all over it. Following up the uber-successful The Humans and the A+ Significant Other, Roundabout is sitting on a goldmine with this new mass-appeal play. See it now before it's a (much more expensive) hot ticket on Broadway.
Runs through August 27.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!