Miss You Like Hell is The Public Theater's heartbreaking new musical about a mother facing deportation who reconnects with her teenage daughter.
5 REASONS YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT
1. It's woke AF. A gay biker couple! An extremely diverse cast! Pre-show announcements in Spanish! This show doesn't shy away from intense mother/daughter relationships and exploring what it means to be a Latinx in 2018.
2. The writing. Quiara Alegría Hudes and Erin McKeown co-wrote Miss You Like Hell. Quiara was nominated for a Tony Award® for writing the book to In The Heights and has an impressive playwriting career as well (she has a Pulitzer!). Bonus: she's really fun to follow on Twitter. And Erin's delicious music? We'll let it speak for itself! Check out the video below to hear some of her brilliant score. Warning: You’re going to fall VERY in love with it very quickly.
3. Daphne Rubin-Vega. In a musical! Our beloved original Mimi from Rent is an all-around badass. She's done a lot of plays in the past few years, but this is a grand return to the New York stage for her sultry vocal stylings. Check out a sneak peek of her singing a song from the show here.
4. Gizel Jiménez. Her voice is beautiful (see the video above) and her acting is superb. We put this stunningly talented newcomer in our 2018 40 Under 40 for a reason: she's a future megastar! Gizel plays the lead role opposite DRV and, quite simply, nails it.
Photos: Joan Marcus
5. The Public Theater. Many Broadway favorites have come out the Public (Hamilton, ahem), so they definitely know what they're doing. Also, the intimate-yet-spacious Newman Theater is an extremely comfortable spot for watching groundbreaking new musical theater.
Miss You Like Hell runs through May 13.
Additional reporting by Olivia Lusk.
We asked the cast and creative team of Be More Chill: Who’s your SQUIP?
2018 was epic year for theater. Here’s some of the highlights!
For starters, Jeff Goldblum was in it…
The first part of our new series #WomenOnBroadway: 5 producers you should be paying attention to!