Photo: Russ Rowland
5 Reasons You Should See Camp Wanatchi: In Concert
1. This Wes Anderson-y new musical about a teenage girl's first lesbian experience at Christian (!) summer camp is VERY cute. Groovy electro-pop tunes zip and zap during the show making you want to stand up and do an adorable little dance every time a new song starts.
2. Remy Zaken. As a "Freak for Jesus", she can deliver a line only the way some of the greats can. Remy is a young Bea Arthur waiting to happen!
3. It's in a really cool space. The Green Room 42 @ Yotel is cozy and spacious.
4. It's very female-centric. This is a show with almost all female actresses and band members, plus a female director and writers. #topplethepatriarchy
5. It's a concert version, which means it's great even for people who don't like musicals. This isn't corny numbers and jazz hands, this is like a really good concept album being performed live.
Runs through August 1.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!