Banner Image: Nicolai Khalezin, Belarus Free Theatre
Burning Doors is a banned piece of theater by the Belarus Free Theatre. It is super heady and intense...and very, very, very awesome.
5 Reasons You Should SEE IT:
1. It stars Maria Alyokhina from Pussy Riot, who just served two years in Russian jail for being a part of a protest performance staged in a church. She is a performer with a definite "it" factor and it's especially powerful to have her on the stage as a solid chunk of the evening involves telling her story.
2. Support artists that refuse to be silenced! This is the only piece of European theater that is banned by its government on political grounds. In one recent production of this piece, the entire cast AND AUDIENCE were arrested in Belarus. Yet, out of oppression comes incredibly passionate art and you'll be so glad you got to see it. These performers are not fucking around!
3. It is one of the most sensory experiences you'll ever have in a theater. Smell and touch heighten the visual and aural work of this piece, making it exceptionally visceral. This is not for the faint of heart!
4. The production values are insane. Lighting, costumes, sets, and props are all A+, all helping to highlight the extreme physicality of the performances...without taking away from them.
5. Tickets are only $30. Pro tip: it's general admission and we recommend getting there early to snag a seat in the first three rows, where your senses are especially assaulted.
Runs through October 22.
The U.S. Constitution + Dirty Dancing?
The first part of our new series #WomenOnBroadway: 5 producers you should be paying attention to!
You’ll never look at classic musicals the same way again after you see this revelatory production at St. Ann’s Warehouse in Brooklyn.
You heard us. CLUELESS. THE MUSICAL. Off-Broadway this fall! With 90s songs! OMG.
An A+ production of this hilarious and heartbeaking landmark play about gay life in NYC in the 70s/80s.
The surprise hit of the Broadway season?
Haunting immersive theater on the streets and inside the buildings of DUMBO, Brooklyn.
There’s a reason it was on so many people’s Top 10 lists last year…and it’s coming back in October.
An energetic and extremely well-done musical for posers and non-posers alike.
Broadway. February 2019. Lyceum Theatre. Teenage anxiety! Zombies! 90’s nostalgia! INCREDIBLE music!
Bryan Cranston stars in one the freshest pieces of live theater imaginable.
The Go-Go's music in an epic woke rock pop jukebox Elizabethan fairy tale party!
Immersive Trainspotting in a Times Square heroin den!
Givin’ some love to these Broadway stars.
A subtle, lovely, and heartbreaking new musical that swept the Tonys.
Musical theater magic! A+++
SO fun...and that radio-ready music!