5 Reasons You Should See Bandstand
by Alyssa Cusick
1. Whether you appreciate a classic feel-good musical, high-energy swing dancing, or an original story that gives you all the feels, this show will have you entertained from start to finish.
2. You don’t need to be a history buff to enjoy this great story. While it takes place in post-war 1940’s, it's more about these vets' passion for music and how that gets them through tough times.
3. Lead Corey Cott learned to play piano for this role (and we are very appreciative) and many of the leading actors actually play in a live band onstage. These quadruple threats will have you sitting in awe the entire show.
Photos: Jeremy Daniel
4. It’s no surprise that choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler received yet another Tony® Award for this show, not to mention how wonderfully it is carried out on stage (we're lookin' at you, hottie ensemble member Max Clayton). With Blankenbuehler also being the director of Bandstand in addition to choreographing it, we can vouch that his vision is admirably portrayed.
5. So much more than fun music and great dancing can be expected when entering the theatre doors. Bandstand sends a message of hope and empowerment to people of all ages. Want to leave a theatre feeling like you can accomplish anything? Get your ticket. You won’t be disappointed!
Runs until September 17.
Theater with a LOT of swagger! A+++++++++++++++++
Banned theater from Europe starring a member of Pussy Riot. Intense and awesome!
A seminal piece of theater that hasn't been on a NYC stage since 1999.
Hedwig vibes in this badass play/rock concert/protest/art installation!
Immersive theater so sexy you'll want to smoke a cigarette after!
Sexy and dangerous theater. As delightful to the eyes as it is terrifying to the mind!
Go behind-the-scenes at a K-Pop factory in this immersive theatrical event!
Four future megastar actors shine in this new play about the personal side of the Freedom Riders movement.
The Hamilton parody with Monty Python vibes.
The Broadway musical recorded on film for optimal couch viewing!
Exactly what we need as a nation right now! Sobering, yet hopeful.
Irreverent, hilarious, and just plain good!
A magic show for 2017!
Shakespeare as a bachelor(ette) party!
There's a reason it won the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical. It doesn't get fresher and more relevant than this!
A musical theater nerd's fever dream!
An immersive production Off-Broadway with Broadway A-Listers!
An extremely special experience that borders on magic!
You'll walk out of the theater with a smile a mile wide!
(duh!) One of the greatest pieces of art of all time.
A Noises Off-esque romp and a half!
Yes, it really is that funny...
One of the coolest theatrical experiences you'll ever have.
Artisanal and intimate immersive theater.
Does it surprise you to know that this is actually one of the best pieces of musical theater of all-time?
A "genie-us" performance, superb direction, and songs you know and love!
Harry Potter fan fiction performed with an improv comedy sensibility!